Baptism is the beginning of the journey of faith for your child. Through Baptism, your child becomes part of our faith community in the Catholic church. Through your teaching example, your child will grow to become a follower of Christ and an active member of the church. This is why we have a special program to prepare parents and godparents and to help them raise their consciousness about this important responsibility.
Age of Infant Baptism
Parents should see to it that their children are baptized within a reasonable period after birth. Arrangements for baptism should be made as soon as possible after birth, or even before birth. Once children have reached the age of reason, they would enter the Religious Education program to prepare for the sacraments of initiation, including baptism.
In Baptism, the Christian receives his/her name in the Church. This can be the name of a saint (who provides a model of charity and the assurance of his/her prayer) or it can express a Christian mystery or Christian virtue.
Pre-Baptism Instruction Class
We offer this class one evening each month in the Conference Room located in the Upper Room of the Parish Center (see schedule below). The class begins at 6:30 pm and ends at 8:00 pm. Please come ten minutes early to check in.
Requirements for Parents:
- At least one parent must be a Catholic—intending that the child become a full member of the Catholic Church (baptism-eucharist-confirmation).
- Complete Pre-Baptism Instruction Class and submit all required paperwork to the Rectory Office.
- Select a Baptismal Name for your child (which may be the same as the given name if it meets the requirements of a Christian name).
Requirements for Godparents:
Godparent must be a fully initiated member of the Catholic Church (Baptism-Eucharist-Confirmation), over the age of 16, who practices the faith. If they are married, their marriage must be recognized by the Catholic Church (ordinarily by taking place in the Catholic Church).
- A second godparent, of the opposite sex, may also be chosen. If they are baptized in another Christian tradition, they would serve as a “Christian Witness.”
A parent cannot serve as a godparent for their child.
- The godparents must also attend the Pre-Baptism Class (or a baptism class in their own parish).
- Obtain a Baptism Information Package at the Rectory Office or download forms below. After completing the Pre-Baptism Information Form, return it to the Rectory Office and schedule a Pre-Baptism class.
- Attend the Pre-Baptism Instruction Class (see schedule below)
- Once you have completed the Pre-Baptism Class, and submitted all the necessary paperwork to the Rectory Office, you may schedule your child's Baptism (see schedule below).
Saturday Mornings at 11 am
(please arrive by 10:45 am)
- July 22, 2017
- August 12, 2017
- September 23, 2017
- October 28, 2017
- November 18, 2017
- December 9, 2017
- January 20, 2018
- February 10, 2018
- No Baptisms during Lent
- April 14, 2018
- May 19, 2018
- June 23, 2018
Baptism Classes for Infant Baptism
Baptism classes are held in the "Upper Room" from 6:30 to 8:00 pm. Parents and godparents are required to participate in the class. If possible, please make arrangements for child care. Please arrive ten minutes early to check in.
- August 7, 2017
- September 11, 2017
- October 2, 2017
- November 6, 2017
- December 4, 2017
- January 8, 2018
- February 5, 2018
- March - no class
- April 9, 2018
- May 7, 2018
- June 4, 2018
This schedule is subject to change. Please contact the Rectory Office (626-796-0432) to confirm dates.