Baptism is the beginning of the journey of faith for your child. Through Baptism, your child becomes part of our faith community in the Catholic church. Through your teaching example, your child will grow to become a follower of Christ and an active member of the church. This is why we have a special program to prepare parents and godparents and to help them raise their consciousness about this important responsibility.
Age of Infant Baptism
Parents should see to it that their children are baptized within a reasonable period after birth. Arrangements for baptism should be made as soon as possible after birth, or even before birth. Once children have reached the age of reason, they would enter the Religious Education program to prepare for the sacraments of initiation, including baptism.
In Baptism, the Christian receives his/her name in the Church. This can be the name of a saint (who provides a model of charity and the assurance of his/her prayer) or it can express a Christian mystery or Christian virtue.
Pre-Baptism Instruction Class
See schedule below (please, no children).
Requirements for Parents:
- At least one parent must be a Catholic—intending that the child become a full member of the Catholic Church (baptism-eucharist-confirmation).
- Complete Pre-Baptism Instruction Class and submit all required paperwork to the Rectory Office.
- Select a Baptismal Name for your child (which may be the same as the given name if it meets the requirements of a Christian name).
Requirements for Godparents:
- Godparent must be a fully initiated member of the Catholic Church (Baptism-Eucharist-Confirmation), over the age of 16, who practices the faith. If they are married, their marriage must be recognized by the Catholic Church (ordinarily by taking place in the Catholic Church).
- A second godparent, of the opposite sex, may also be chosen. If they are baptized in another Christian tradition, they would serve as a “Christian Witness.”
- A parent cannot serve as a godparent for their child.
- The godparents must also attend the Pre-Baptism Instruction Class (or a baptism class in their own parish).
Summary of Steps for having your child baptized:
- Obtain Baptism Registration Forms from Rectory Office or download a form from our website. After completing the Forms and attaching a copy of your child’s birth certificate, return them to the Rectory Office.
- Take time to prayerfully consider the selection of Godparents, knowing that their role is sacred. In addition to meeting the basic requirements, godparents are called to set an example for your child, help hand on the faith, and have a lifelong relationship of prayer, faith sharing and love.
- Attend Pre-Baptism Instruction (see schedule below).
- Once you have completed the Pre-Baptism Instruction and submitted all the necessary paperwork, you may schedule your child’s Baptism (see schedule below).
However, it is customary for families to offer a gift to the parish in thanksgiving for their child’s baptism. $100 is a suggested offering, but we are grateful for your generosity, no matter what your means allow. Your offering should be given at the time of your child’s Baptism.
Saturday Mornings at 11 am
- September 22, 2018
- October 27, 2018
- November 17, 2018
- December 15, 2018
Pre-Baptism Instruction for Infant Baptism
- September 13, 2018
- October - no class
- November 8, 2018
- December 13, 2018
This schedule is subject to change. Please contact the Rectory Office (626-796-0432) to confirm dates.